Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 03:13:43 +0200
From:      "Magnus" <handaa@chello.no>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   System unable to resolve hostnames

FreeBSD Alpha.chello.no 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD

I have a wierd problem, where the system is unable to resolve hostnames.
Even though I have configured resolv.conf, here is the output of the file:

search chello.no
nameserver 212.186.255.29
nameserver 212.186.255.30

I have checked the addresses, and they are correct. Have also tried using
those DNS server on a win box, wich works fine.

I am able to ping numerical addresses, however, when I try to ping hostnames
I get: "ping: cannot resolve freebsd.org: unknown host"
Have tried several adresses, all with the same result.

This happens also when I try to ftp, http with lynx, ntp update, they all
fail
to connect when I use hostnames.

What makes it even more wierd, is that I am able to resolv hostnames by
using
'nslookup'.
prompt # nslookup freebsd.org
server: dnscache01.chello.no
address: 212.186.255.29

Name:    Freebsd.org
address: 216.136.204.21

Wich means I am able to resolve hostnames, DNS is working, however
applications like ping, ftp etc. fails to resolve hostnames.
How does the application resolve hostnames, what can cause what I
am experiencing ? I would like to resolve this problem, if someone could
shed
some light on this problem. I would greatly appreciate it.

If you need more feedback, to trouble shoot this problem. Let me know,
and I will reply as soon as possible.

Magnus
Oslo, Norway