Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:06:54 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FBSD 2.1

> > we have unzip in the kernel...
>
> Well, yeah, but we can still take it out easily - it's controlled by a
> kernel option, and not critical to system function.

It's critical to the install of the system unfortunately. :(

> What happens if
> we make every package a zip file then get a nasty note?  We've got all
> those packages rendered sort of useless.

Then you need to redesign our install as well. :(

> Also, as a point of fact, I thought the unzip we were using was just
> the uncompression part, not the unarchiving part.

The unarchiving part is *completely* free from PKware since Phil posted
everything that was used publically to get folks to buy his software in
the claim that it was a freely available algorithm.  Basically, you
should buy his stuff cause it's faster than anyone elses.  I suspect his
copyright problems with the ARC stuff caused him to do this.

I suspect (though I'm no lawyer obviously) that we are pretty safe in
using zip for the pkg tools.  WC already ships out 'billions and
billions' (I always wanted to say that in a sentence) of disks which
contain zip archives and many which contain the source code to the
InfoZip utilities.

Nate