Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:55:53 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        hiroshi.takai@toshiba.co.jp
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: License issue

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 07:00:07PM +0900, hiroshi.takai@toshiba.co.jp wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD Project team,
>
>  We would like to ask you about the license issue of "FreeBSD" when we
> redistribute
> FreeBSD in binary and we implement our software on the FreeBSD in the MRI
> system of
> TOSHIBA MEDICAL SYSTEMS CORPORATION.
>
>  We are planning to redistribute FreeBSD in binary and we implement our
> software on
> the FreeBSD in our system, keeping the text in "COPYRIGHT" file in the
> package of
> FreeBSD 6.1 RELEASE. The COPYRIGHT file is attached this email.
>
> We want to make sure there is no problem.

Should be no problem.
The Standard FreeBSD copyright says you can do what you want.
Just include the FreeBSD copyright.

Now, the ports are separate from FreeBSD as far as copyrights go.
They are produced by other people and organizations who set their
own copyright rules.   Mostly they are the same as FreeBSD, but
some have their own limitations or requirements.   So, if you are
including a port in your product, you should also check the copyright
for the port.

Good luck,

////jerry