Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:42:54 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Ronald 'Ko' Klop" <ronald@node11a94.a2000.nl>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Now the problem:  When this system was setup (and partitioned) initially
> it had a MUCH bigger swap space than physical memory.  It has since had
> physical memory added however.  It now has 320MB physical and only a
> single 140MB swap partition setup for it.  There are NO free partitions
> and adding another drive to the thing now would be a MAJOR  hassle,
> and the people who are hosting it for me (far far away) probably will
> *not* want to even try doing that, even if I ship them a new/additional
> disk drive for the system.

You can create a file which you can use for swap. I don't know the exact
syntax for it, but it's something with vnconfig and swapon as far as I can
remember.

There is more about this in the mailinglist archives and even in the FAQ.
See http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ129.html#129

--
Ronald Klop
http://node11a94.a2000.nl/~ronald/