Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 10:35:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Daniel Killingsworth <dankilling@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPD crashing

On Wednesday, 24 May 2000 at 20:41:43 -0400, Daniel Killingsworth wrote:
> I am having difficulties configuring my modem for use with FreeBSD,
> and was interested in dome help- I am willing to re-install if
> necessary, as this is my first (serious) venture out the 'Windows'.

We don't consider reinstallation a way of solving this kind of
problem.

> I have been successful installing the Kernel, in generic mode, and
> getting X up and running. I cannot, however, seem to get my modem
> (USR 56k fax int. PnP) to respond to the ppp dialup utility in
> Gnome...any suggestions?

Don't use Gnome.  Or at least, not for system functions.

> Also, while reading the manual(gasp), it suggests adding some lines
> to my /sys/dev/conf/generic file and re-compiling the kernel....

I don't know which manual you've been reading: I can't think of much
you can do in the kernel config to get PPP working.  In addition, that
*should* read /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC.  But even then, you shouldn't
change it, you should make a copy with a different name.

> how does one re-compile the kernel? Is there a command for this or
> do you simply re-start the system?

It's described in the online handbook:

  # cd /sys/i386/conf
  # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
  # vi MYKERNEL
   (make what changes you want)
  # config -g MYKERNEL
  # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
  # make all install
  # shutdown -r now

The last command restarts the system with the new kernel.

Back to your original problem: the subject says something about pppd
crashing, but you don't mention it (or too many other details) in the
text.  What's really going on?  What kind of hardware is it?  Is this
modem a winmodem?  If so, you won't be able to use it with FreeBSD.

Greg