Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:07:49 -0800
From:      "pan" <pan@syix.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: another way 4.5s is broken (user smmsp -> make installworld)

From: "ian j hart" <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>

> > I have no idea if the way I set up this new required sendmail user
account
> > is correct - I plan on rm'ing the user before mergemaster
> > I assume user:smmsp is not needed to be created until mergemaster
>
> Don't do that, it will break mergemaster.
> Fix it when merging master.passwd & group

Yes - I ended up seeing what the correct set up for smmsp
AND mailnull are when mergemaster showed the diffs
for master.passwd

I had to add a bogus ssmsp user/group back in to
get mergemaster to run at all

What the problem was is that UPDATING and other notes mention
not that smmsp and mailmull are needed just to cvsup to stable
(haven't noticed anything here in stable about smmsp or mailnull
either)

and certainly what little clue is in /usr/src/... after cvs
does not make plain in any open or ready fashion the details for
smmsp & mailnull

i.e. - it is possible for the clueful and semi-clueful (like me) to get
past the stops, but info needs to be added to UPDATING

now only if the ata driver was working in 4.5s ....

again, apologies for my tone ...

Pan