Date:      Thu, 24 Sep 1998 18:27:48 +1000
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning was not properly dismounted/

At 12:59 AM 9/24/98 -0700, larry_nilsen wrote:
>hi i have two short Questions;
>1) im running FREEBSD2.2.7 I  have a root password.Now how do i sign in
>as root or when im logged in as normal user how can i access root. a lot of
>commands i try keeps comming back permission denied?

Log in from the console as root with the password.  That'll log you in as
root.  If you're logged in as a normal user, make sure the username is
added to the wheel group in /etc/group.  It should look like this, where
your_uid is your login name..

wheel:*:0:root,your_uid

Then when you want (or need) to be root, type su at the prompt and type in
the password.

>2)When im in FREEBSD and i want to shutdown my computer i understand
>i should be using the shutdown command.When i use it it comes back
>saying permission denied.? and then i just type exit it puts me back in the
>login screen and i turn off the computer there.When i turn on the computer
>again as FREEBSD is booting up and going through the normal kernel i read
>somthing that says" (Warning was not properly dismounted) How can i
>prevent this error from happening again.

You need to be root to use the shutdown command.  To reboot type shutdown
-r now at the prompt and to halt the system (if you want to turn it off)
type shutdown -h now and when it says "System is halted. Press a key to
reboot."  you can turn off the power.  That'll stop you from getting that
error message on reboot.

Jim
|=> Jim Mock 	| Admin/Webmaster | email: jim@phrantic.phear.net <=|
|=> Phear Dot Net | KidzHaven | web: http://www.phear.net/ <=|
|=> Website Design & Hosting	| web: http://www.kidzhaven.com/ <=|
|=> Wagga Wagga, NSW Australia | Powered by FreeBSD! <=|