Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 1997 10:39:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppbus problem

> > > From: User Gp <gp@tower.my.domain>
> > >
> > > I 'm trying to install the ppbus stuff for my parallel port
> > > zip drive. The kernel compiled OK, and it has a lot to say
> > > about the drive, but fdisk and mount produce no results.
> > > Here's dmesg. Any ideas.
> >
> > Can you be more specific about "no results"?  Error messages?  System
> > lockup?
>
> No error messages, it just sits doing nothing, i.e. no indication (sound or
> lights of disk activity in the zip. I bring my prompt back with ^C.
>

> > > ppc0 at 0x278 irq 7 on isa
> > > ppc0: Generic chipset in PS/2 mode
> > > plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus 0
> > > ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
> > > vpo0: <Adaptec aic7110 scsi> on ppbus 0
> > > scbus0 at vpo0 bus 0
> > > sd0 at scbus0 target 6 lun 0
> > > sd0: <IOMEGA ZIP 100 D.13> type 0 removable SCSI 2
> > > sd0: Direct-Access
> > > sd0: UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
> > > sd0:  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
> > > 862MB (196608 4592 byte sectors)
> > > vpo0: <Adaptec aic7110 scsi> on ppbus 0
> > > scbus1 at vpo0 bus 0
> > > sd1 at scbus1 target 6 lun 0
> > > sd1: <IOMEGA ZIP 100 D.13> type 0 removable SCSI 2
> > > sd1: Direct-Access
> > > sd1: ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
> > > sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> > > 96MB (196608 512 byte sectors)
> >
> > Actually, this looks pretty ugly; you appear to have detected the vpo0
> > device twice.  Do you have one Zip or two connected?
> >
> > mike

To follow up, I have one zip, but I had vpo.c in both
/sys/conf/files and /sys/i386/conf/files.i386 and their related
directories (DOn't ask me how.).
Now I only have vpo.c in /sys/i386/conf/files.i386, and
there's some improvement. Now I only get the probe results for the
96MB Zip. fdisk still hangs though. Should I be using some of those
flags in my kernel? I don't quite understand those.

Thanks.

Greg