Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:52:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        mike@sentex.net
Subject:   Re: New US CVSup mirrors

In article <5.0.1.4.0.20001117161609.00ac0250@marble.sentex.ca>,
Mike Tancsa  <mike@sentex.net> wrote:

> Super.  I know this has come up before, but what if you also added a few
> overloaded A records for those who want to spread the load automatically,
> and do it in a somewhat random way.  So in addition to all the current A
> records, what if you added
>
> cvsuprandom             IN A  198.182.76.7
> cvsuprandom             IN A    209.221.148.132
>
> and so on...  And you could suggest people to use this if they dont care
> which cvsup server they want ?

I suppose it would be OK if it were elective and not required.  It
has a lot of potential problems.  First, different mirrors sync to
the master server at different times.  If you update twice in rapid
succession from different servers, the second update might actually
back you up to an earlier version than the first one.  Even worse, if
something went wrong at one of the mirrors in the rotation such that
it was far out of date, it could revert your sources by a lot.

John