Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 2003 14:26:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Adam C. Migus" <adam@migus.org>
To:        "Eivind Eklund" <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: config files in packages (Re: (proposal) new flag  forpkg_delete)

Eivind Eklund said:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 02:48:06AM -0400, Adam C. Migus wrote:
>> I agree with the something like the Debian approach but perhaps
>> with
>> more emphasis on comparison and automation than user interaction.
>> It takes the worry out of the hands of the port maintainers, it
>> keeps users from screwing up their installations, it's been done
>> and
>> shown to work it can be improved by offering a diff feature.
>
> See ports/sysutils/etcmerge for an implementation of 3-way merges of
> /etc I did a little while ago.  It handle conflicts reasonably (or
> what
> I think is reasonable, at least), including the case where a config
> file
> is deleted.  Usually, it will completely automate upgrades.
>
> In order to do this, etcmerge requires a copy of the initial
> ("sample")
> configuration files as distributed by the vendor (FreeBSD, for the
> present).  For the present case, the easy way to get this is to run
> mergemaster and copy the tree it creates in /var/tmp.  It is not
> possible to use a copy of the /etc just after install, as sysinstall
> writes modifications to /etc before the user gets access to it, and
> these modifications would be lost if it was copied as "base".
>
> It should be fairly simple to extend the technique to also cover
> ports.
> If we choose to do this, we should also make sysinstall store a copy
> of
> the initial /etc, to remove the need to run mergemaster to get a
> copy.
>
> Eivind.

Eivind,
I have been playing with your package for a little while now.  I
like it so far and was waiting to see if you had anything else in
the way of enhancements for it prior to commenting (as you've only
released 0.2 thus far).  You're point about the base install didn't
bother me as I was using it for diskless installations.

I like both of your ideas, adapting it for ports and for sysinstall.
 Have you received any feedback?  Are there any known bugs or
limitations in the current revision that might preclude
experimentation with doing this now?

--
Adam - (http://people.migus.org/~amigus/)
Migus Dot Org - (http://www.migus.org/)