Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:53:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD current users)
Subject:   Re: Vm fixes NG

David Greenman writes:

>> Another point of interest: this machine has 16 MB of memory and 32 MB
>> swap, but lately when I build a kernel (with debug symbols) I get a
>> number of
>>
>> Jun  4 12:27:25 freebie /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
>> Jun  4 12:27:38 freebie /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
>>
>> I think these messages are bogus.  I can build kernels on another
>> machine (running -stable), with only 8 MB memory and 32 MB swap, and I
>> don't have any trouble.  Is there any way to monitor swap space usage?
>
>    It sound like you don't have any swapspace configured. Look at the output
> of pstat -s.

Watch my lips: this machine has 16 MB of memory and 32 MB swap.

Here's a pstat -s output:

# pstat -s
Device      1024-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/wd0s1b       32768    13740    18964    42%    Interleaved
# ps aux | awk ' {sum += $5 }; END {print sum}'
12636

OK, it's clear that the VSZ is only an approximation (John has already
gone into more detail on that one), but there seems to be a *very*
large discrepancy between the 12.6 MB VSZ and the 30 MB sum of main
memory and used swap.  I'd guess that the system is leaking swap
somewhere.

Greg