Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:08:35 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comms/hylafax

One eensy weensy security hole, and you want to drop the package.  ;-)

Personally, I think Hylafax is great.  In the environment in which I
use it, it's secure enough for me.  (My FAX machine doesn't do anything
but answer FAXes.)

And despite the "BROKEN" marker, it's still the only full-featured
enterprise FAX software in the ports collection.

Were I a C jockey, I might take on the task of patching the hole and
addressing the PRs, but I suspect I'd spend my time on other things
instead.

If the authors are really MIA, then perhaps some attention should
be given to http://www.hylafax.org/.  I haven't looked in too much
depth, but somebody's at home there; the FAQ was last updated April
12th 2000, and there's regular traffic on the flexfax mailing lists.

I'm away for the next two weeks, but if nobody else hoists the flag,
I'd be happy to try on the hat of maintainer and collect patches
after I return.  I think Hylafax should remain in the ports
collection, even in its BROKEN state, until there's something that
does its job better.

If you're looking for contact via email, check out the mailing lists at
http://www.hylafax.org/mailing-lists.html.  Sam Lefler may not be as
visible these days, but there *is* still a user base of unix people
who don't want to buckle and use Windows NT with commercial software
for enterprise FAX service.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 01:01:34PM -0500, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 28, 2000 at 01:52:12PM -0400, T.E.Dickey wrote:
> > > comms/hylafax has been marked FORBIDDEN with security holes for
> > > quite some time now.  There are also a few ports PRs open relating
> > > to it.  Since neither the authors, nor anyone on the ports list
> > > appears to be concerned about it enough to fix it, I am proposing
> > > that one week from today (5th May 2000)
> >
> > why don't you cc the authors on this?
>
> Sorry, should have mentioned that first..
>
> Mail to the authors has seemingly disappeared into a black hole :(
>
> -aDe
>
> --
> Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.

  Paul Chvostek                                            <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Development / Abuse / Whatever      vox: +1 416 598 0000
  IT Canada                                           http://www.it.ca/