Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:53:59 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend/resume in -current: still no joy

[suspend/resume failure on TP560 with Megahertz modem installed]

> > problem manifests itself upon entering the suspended state, not
> > when resuming.
>
> Ah, true.  Hmm, let me think about this, OK?

OK. :-) Here's something else to think about.  Sometimes it looks as
though the machine has started to suspend, but then gets yanked back
to life.  Once I watched it almost-suspend for maybe 10 seconds before
hearing the disk spin up again all by itself.  (I say "almost" suspend
because I'm pretty sure the suspend light never came on.)

What I'm getting at is this:  The manual for the ThinkPad 560 says
that an incoming call on the modem can wake up the machine when it is
in the suspended state.  I'm having problems only with the modem card,
not with the ethernet card.  Could it be that the card is emitting a
spurious indication of an incoming call, due to some error in the way
it's being shut down?

Just something to think about.

John