Date:      Thu, 10 May 2007 21:55:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Grimes <cgrimes@rawbw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old 4.2 user, with 6.2 newbie questions

I am in the process of moving from 4.2-RELEASE on an old box to
6.2-RELEASE on a new box (Core 2 Duo, DG965WH mobo, GeForce 7600gs,
1G RAM, 400G sata drive). I need to figure out a couple of userland
changes to the default 6.2 installation which took about an hour and
went great.

I have a shell account on my isp which runs 4.10-STABLE. In my old 4.2
box I have fetchmail set to log in, get mail and hand it over to local
sendmail to put it in my local /var/mail/user directory on my old
machine. I also use rsh (I know, don't) to log in to my shell
account. I use my own sendmail to send mail out to various lists on
the old box. I masquerade as my isp in sendmail, which puts the
appropriate user name on my headers.

Ok. In 6.2 box I've turned off local only mail (no submit.cf) and have
sendmail maquerade working. I can send email out as a user, but I can't
retrieve mail on my isp via fetchmail.

I think ppp is configured correctly because I can telnet just fine to
my shell account, but I can't rsh. It hangs after the password has
been sent (yes you are not supposed to need a password with rlogin,
but my isp uses one anyway for minium security).

If I am root and switch during rsh/rlogin login to my username, I can
get a little further along. I get the first few system announcements
on the shell server, and then the terminal hangs. I have to kill the
rlogin PID to get back the ttyN terminal.

There also seems to be buffer overflows or conflicts between the mouse
(on a usb port, usm0), 56k modem (PCI, sio0 remapped to sio4?), and
printer (lpt0). In ppp, I use /dev/cuad4, despite the fact the modem
is reported in dmesg as on sio0. Whatever is going on at some lower
layer, all these devices work with random messages about stray
irq's---so I am ignoring them at the moment. In other words, I can use
dial-up, the mouse works, and the printer prints (via lp). Seems good
enough for the moment.

There have obviously been changes to the 6.2 base install that I don't
know about that probably account for some of these problems. Unfortunately,
most of these issues are no covered in the manuals that came with the CDs, or
the coverage was out of date

Suggestions on where to look, things to check and change would be
greatly appreciated. At the moment I am more interested in getting
correct behavior, than I am concerned with security.

My first priority is getting fetchmail running. Here is the
fetchmailrc dot file:

defaults proto pop3
user mailname
poll my.isp.com
pass xxxxx
set daemon 840

As user, I can run fetchmail at the command line, without an error
message, but it also doesn't get and deliver any mail. I can send
email to myself, but I am sure it never leaves the machine. The
user@domain.com is correct---so sendmail masquerade is working. For
example, sendmail does not write: user@hostname.domain.com, as it
would without masquerade.

I changed the permissions on sendmail back to:

$ ll -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel 583680 Jan 11 23:42  sendmail

from 6.2 default:

$ ll -rwsr-xr-x  1 root  wheel 583680 Jan 11 23:42  sendmail

I've tried it both ways and niether seems to make any difference.

My general impression is that 6.2 has set up restrictions or modified
rsh and fetcmail---or perhaps these are fine, but don't interact well
with older verisons, i.e 4.10. Although I can ftp to my shell
and down load files.

Also I updated the ports via ftp as root, and everything took forever,
but seems to work fine. For example I use Magicfilter which was not in
the cd's, so from ports/printer, I downloaded Magicfilter, compiled
and installed it and it works fine as a postscript filter for lpr.

I know these are quite a few questions, but any suggestions on any of
them would be much appreciated.

CG