Date:      Mon, 29 May 2006 01:47:10 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: phpMyAdmin problem - no Edit/Delete on Browse

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Matthew Seaman wrote:

 > Ian Smith wrote:
 > > running 5.4-RELEASE and installed phpMyAdmin 2.6.1.3 with pkg_add -r
[..]
 > >  mysql-client-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (client)
 > >  mysql-server-4.1.10a Multithreaded SQL database (server)
 > >  php4-4.3.10_2       PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)
 > >  phpMyAdmin-2.6.1.3  A set of PHP-scripts to manage MySQL over the web
[..]
 > > phpmyadmin basically works fine.  I'd imported my databases from dumps,
 > > and all looked good after a bit of configuration.  However when starting
 > > to do some real work on a couple of databases, I noticed that while
 > > browsing any database, the Edit and Delete options do not appear with
 > > each row, ie I can not update existing records (even as -u root)
 > >
 > > I'd suspected permissions, but I can insert new records, add/drop/empty
 > > tables and databases, bookmark queries and all.  The permissions and
 > > ownership of and in /var/db/mysql are the same as my old 4.5-R system.
 > >
 > > $cfg['ModifyDeleteAtLeft'] = TRUE; I've also tried adding ...AtRight as
 > > well, but neither show up.  If relevant, I'm using apache-1.3.33_1 and
 > > mozilla-1.7.7,2 .. all of this is just running on the local machine, so
 > > I'm not at the moment concerned with just security-issue updates.
[..]

Nope.  Show processlist confirms that I'm logged in as root@localhost,
with an idle pma@localhost process as well for bookmarks etc.

 SHOW GRANTS FOR `root`@`localhost`;

 GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'root'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD
 '*A5------------obscured------------4C2EFF' WITH GRANT OPTION

 > phpMyAdmin is clever enough to modify its user interface according to what
 > the user has permission to do to the database.  The user name use within the
 > database depends on how you've configured phpMyAdmin -- I generally like to
 > use 'cookie' mode authentication where the username and password are passed
 > straight through to MySQL from the login dialog, but the 'config' mode given
 > in the example config files requires you to put the username and password
 > directly in the phpMyAdmin configuration file.

Just using 'config' mode, user root so far; thought I'd tighten it up
properly for outside access after getting it doing some useful work!

Think I'll start again with the installed config.  I really can't recall
if this problem was there since installation, but as mentioned all other
import/export, create/drop/copy database/table, adding rows etc all just
works well so far, excepting edit/delete availability on browse.

Thanks Matthew,

cheers, Ian