Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:06:57 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SAMBA

> > Hi, All,
> >
> >    I'm looking for some information on how to set up SAMBA with a Windows
> >  95 network.  So far, I'm able to "see" the machine from the Windows
> machines,

So far, so good. Unability to access the shares on Unix system is
probably caused by wrong permissions.

First of all, certain versions of SMB protocol do NOT preserve the case
of passwords (i.e. a password 'lovelySmB' becomes 'LOVELYSM'), so when
unix tries to match it with original password of the owner of resource,
it fails of course. I use a 'protocol = COREPLUS' statement in smb.conf
to avoid this problem (further described in paper on security in SAMBA dist).

Second, make sure that the resource has proper ownership and permissions
(as combined with permissions set and ownership in smb.conf !).

BTW, I've been using this setup for almost a year, and it really works.
I completely transferred my file server to the FreeBSD box running Samba.

> A bit off topic, but there is a Samba related update from mickeysoft
> for Win95.  It is :
> UPD0006  Vredir update for Samba UNIX servers
>         VREDIR.VXD  4.0.0.955
> I don't know exactly what it does but it is included with the service pack

Ha, ha, ha! <loudly> It's because of Micr$0ft's inborn shyness that few
people know what this update is for. The issue behind this particular
"update" (==serious bug fix) is the Samba package. It came out that using
smbclient you can connect to a resource (let's say, a directory on a
remote disk). If it worked properly, you'd have access to "chroot"ed
directory (that is, cd /; cd .. would left you in /). But what happens if
you do a cd ../ ? Well, it blows up in your face - at the prompt you have

smb\../>

and you have access to the entire disk!

I hope this helps,

Andy