Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:48:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        vallo@solaris.matti.ee
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird story with dump | restore

> On Fri, Dec 17, 1999 at 10:47:59AM +0200, Vallo Kallaste <vallo@myhakas.matti.ee> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > It's very annoying, I have only fair experiences with dump/restore back
> > to the 2.2.2 days until now.
>
> Sorry for the long post and partially? false alert.
>
> Something in my mind waked up and I checked what type of bsize and fsize
> the other machines have. Now I remember a little discussion in the
> cvs-all list, at that time phk committed something about default flags
> for newfs or so and there was rgrimes involved into discussion. He was
> suggesting following flags for filesystem creation for newer, bigger
> disks:
>
> newfs -b16384 -f2048 -u2048 -c128 -i4096
>
> I've used them since with no problems whatsoever. Now I got the dump
> done on the machine with default filesystem, the bugger is unusual
> filesystem I guess. Is it expected behavior? Does anybody know why it
> can't be done?

A few more details please.  Are you having problems when you are
dumping from a file system formatted as above, or is it a restore
going to this type of file system, or are both the source and destination
file system formatted as above?

EXACTLY what dump/restore pipeline command did you run?

I'll try to duplicate this here... I suspect a blocking/unblocking
operation is highly un optimized to deal with these large block size
file systems and/or your exasting a kernel resource during this
operation.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net