Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 02:53:10 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        dcooper <hysterx@interaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: default route and ppp

With 2.2.6, you probably need ``add 0 0 HISADDR'' in ppp.linkup as
well as ppp.conf.

If you're using -auto mode and you're not changing your IP number,
it shouldn't be necessary to do any ``add 0 0 HISADDR''s after the
initial ppp.conf one - unless you're doing a ``delete all''
somewhere.

In the latest ppp, you need only ever ``add 0 0 hisaddr'' once -
after that, it ``stick''s and gets re-run after every interface
IP number change :-)

You can get that version on

  http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html

One other thing of note, ``add! 0 0 hisaddr'' will add the route,
overwriting any existing route.  Also, ``add default hisaddr'' and
``add 0 0 hisaddr'' are synonymous.

> hello,
>
>     Im sorry to pester any of you but I would like to ask a quick
> question.
> I have freeBSD 2.2.6 on a dial out gateway using IP aliasing ( A
> DREAM!!!!!). All works fine for almost all of it. I use the command ppp
> -ddial internet   to start the dialing
> and all goes well. Now my problem is, I use a "dial out gateway" to
> provide internet access with my local LAN every thing goes well with
> that as should be but when the connection goes down due to problems with
> either line quality or my ISP doing upgrades and such my modem resets
> and redials the ISP and logs on when it can. This all works fine as is
> my intention but once the ppp has re-established the connection the
> default route that gets set up between my ISP and the gateway gets
> erased and for some reason one of my routes on my ethernet ed0 gets put
> there and the default route does not get replaced with my ISP's gateway
> once again. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I have set up
> my dial up just as the handbook said to and also using the pedantic ppp
> primer. the only difference is my internal IP's are 10.0.0.x . Is there
> maybe another
> add 0 0 HISADDR that I should add to compensate for this? Or since the
> default route is static ( my IPS never changes the IP to their gateway)
> can I use add 0 0 and my ISP's gateway? Well Im hoping that some of you
> know this problem. Seems like a simple fix that I just yet don't
> understand all the way. =)
>
> by the way freeBSD is the best OS Ive used so far. It is the only one
> that I have accomplished good networking with ease. I use Win95 freeBSD
> and linux all on my network here. freeBSD is by far the most awesome
> system by FAR!!
>
> well, any help would be appreciated!
> Dave Cooper

Cheers.