Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:43:04 +0100
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD License "Innocence" Clause Proposal

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 17:57, you wrote:
> [...]

Well, yes that's what I meant with BSDL in this context, as it is used by
individual authors currently.

> courts have said I can do.  As a result of this, people, when they use
> my work commercially they will need to get me to sign a piece of paper.
> If I'm not reachable, that's kind of hard.  By giving the copyright
> to the University, it assures any future entity that there will never
> be any question of copyight rights to use the work since the UCB
> obviously
> isn't difficult to find, and is not likely to dry up and disappear.
>
> This is why FreeBSD is copyrighted The FreeBSD Project and
> not the individual developers copyrights.
>
> If you retain your own copyright on the
> work then your license might be a BSD-like license, but it's not
> the BSD license.

I'm not sure if I agree with this, it may boil down to "a" vs "the". The
BSD(-like, if you like) license as used nowadays is normally one without the
Regents involved. I'm not against calling that "a" BSD license though. You
need to spell it out somewhere anyway so the difference in semantics doesn't
matter much, the resulting LICENSE or COPYRIGHT text does of course. I may be
more inclined to think of BSDL in terms of applicability/restrictions while
yours is more in historical terms, but well, like I said, it's the terms you
as an author grant that matter.

Dan