Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 1996 09:04:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jamie Clark <jamie@eri.erinet.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions mail service <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   BootMgr a virus?

Hello good people,

I have FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE and Windows 95 on my system.  I have been
experiencing some crashes in Win95 that CrashSheild of WinProbe caught
with increasing frequency.  I had been downloading some software from the
net and thought maybe a virus had slipped down the line.  On my old
computer, I used InVircible v6.01C.  It was released before Win95 so I
when to the net to get an update at http://invircible.com/.  The new
version 6.12C was only available as a detector of viruses.  I ran it, and
it says that I have a B1 type virus (boot sector) and that my partition
table had also been affected.  Knowing what BootMgr does, I wondered if
InVircible was just detecting BootMgr?  McAfee Viruscan doesn't find
anything, but on the InVircible web site they had a published paper
written by a COMPAQ engineer that Anti-Virus software like Viruscan do a
poor job of finding viruses they don't have data on.  If someone else
could verify that InVircible detects BootMgr as a virus, then a could rule
out viruses as causes to my problem.  I would appreciate the assistance of
all who would take time out to help me.

Thank you,

Jamie

Remember that a person's name is to that person the sweetest and most
	important sound in any language.
jamie@erinet.com; http://members.tripod.com/~mindysue/
40 Newton Drive, Pleasant Hill, OH 45359-9603 (937)676-2856