Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 17:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        cclark@globalstar.com (Crist J. Clark), avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed), dr@kyx.net (Dragos Ruiu), silby@silby.com (Mike Silbersack), cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Yonatan@xpert.com (Yonatan Bokovza), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org ('freebsd-security@freebsd.org')
Subject:   Re: FW: Small TCP packets == very large overhead == DoS?

:...
:> Which uses the term "length." However, the definition of MSS only
:> talks about "size," and there is no indication I find that "size" and
:> "length" are the same thing.
:>
:> So either all of the TCP implementations I can find are wrong and seem
:> to believe MSS is the maximum data length within a segment as opposed
:> to the actual segment size, or I am wrong.
:
:The devil is in the details.  The paragraph about "segment length" explains
:it pretty well - it's the amount of sequence number space (i.e. data length).
:
:The data payload of the IP packet (above) is 1480 bytes long, the TCP
:segment size (again data payload) is 1460.  The segment length (or size)
:is the sequence number space which is the same as data payload length.
:
:I think you're saying that "TCP segment" to be something it isn't.
:
:Darren

    The sequence space includes SYN and FIN.  Just think of them as
    phantom data bytes and everything becomes much more clear.

						-Matt