Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 05:47:52 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Peter Shpak <s_ain_t@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE + HP DeskJet 820cxi problem

Peter Shpak <s_ain_t@yahoo.com> types:
> hello.
> i have an HP DeskJet 820Cxi (a win printer) and i am
> running 4.2 Stable. I have configured apsfilter, but
> it does not print the test page. the printer is
> recognized during bootup. dmesg points out that it is
> connected on ppbus0. But sending text files to

Since it's a win printer, you may be out of luck, just like win
modems.

However, all apsfilter does is arrange to turn things into postscript,
then send them through ghostscript telling it to render for your
printer, and send the results of *that* to the printer. If ghostscript
doesn't recognize your printer, you're going to have problems getting
much beyond flat text to print. apsfilter should have used the list of
devices from gs to generate a list of printers for you to check
from. Did you find your printer, or one you knew it was compatible
with? If so, you might try using lpr to get the ghostscript printer
driver working.

	<mike