Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:35:19 -0600
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Edward <edward_gess@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAC

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 10:00:24AM +0200, Edward wrote:
>         Hello all,
>     How to change the MAC address in FreeBSD??? When I am creating
> socket, how FreeBSD knows which network interface to
>     use??? How works network sniffers and how to protect myself from
> them??? How works ARP on low level??? I don't understand
>     this because I know that it is not using TCP/IP... , but how then
> data frames arrives to the host knowing only it MAC address and
>     more it can be changed??? Is the hosts on LAN know MAC addresses to
> which they are connected??? Or just frames are
>     sent to all hosts on LAN and who's MAC is the same as in frame,
> answers ???
>
>     In a word please give me some links on documetns about those
> things...

The MAC address of a network card is hard-wired. Occassionally, the card
manufacturer will let you change a few digits, but this is dangerous and
can lead to network problems.

I'm not sure who grants blocks of MAC addresses to card manufacturers,
it might be the FCC, or it might be ICANN.

The idea behind a MAC address is to give a unique identifier to the
card, so protocols like TCP can figure out where to send packets.
--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx