Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 01:04:56 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Speeding up Application Development and Deployment

Use a java to native code compiler such as Electrical Fire:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ef/

The catch ?

EF is a compiler on its early stages there is more work to be done however it
does
compile and run mighty fine on FreeBSD.

****Want a task list:*********

Scott Furman from netscape wrote:

Amancio Hasty wrote:

>>   As low level compiler works continues , is there a task list of things
>>   that needs to get done to get a robust fully functionable EF release?

>  There is the developer roadmap that hangs off the EF homepage.
>  I haven't updated it in more than a month, yet it's still fairly up to date:
>
>   http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ef/plan.html

>What this document probably does not do well is rank the importance
>of the various tasks.  Here are the top tasks, roughly in decreasing order of
>importance

>       Integration of EF with Java runtime libraries, either ClassPath's or JDK1.2's or both
>       Integration of SportModel garbage collection code
>       Improved build system in which dependencies are handled properly,
>       possibly also with some unification between Windows/Unix
>       Automated build with Tinderbox reporting
>       Automated testing, probably using new Mauve test suite

>At the moment, I'm spending my time on the build issues.
> Hopefully, I'll have something usable in the next few weeks.

Top priority implement JNI for EF so that  GNU's classpath library
(http://www.classpath.org )
can be integrated into EF.

--

 Amancio Hasty