Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:34:28 +1030 (CST)
From:      Matthew Thyer <matt@camtech.net.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RELEASE timelines

What is the big rush to 4.0-RELEASE ?

With all the new functionality and recent changes there are some things
that need to be bedded in (I'm thinking newpcm and ATA).  Maybe I'm
saying this because my SB16 PnP has only just been fixed and my CD-ROM
drive doesn't work under the ATA driver (I'm about to try the most
recent fixes so dont yell at me yet) but maybe I'm saying this because
things seem a bit rushed.

Consider the 2.2 stream that went through many more releases (counting
2.2.1 -> 2.2.8).  Using that yardstick you'd expect 4.0 to stay in
development until 3.7 is released.   I know 7 releases of the 2.2 stream
was considerred a few too many but surely we can hold 4.0 back a bit
longer considerring the age of some of the code.

--
| Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au |