Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:04:20 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne@ukc.ac.uk>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad R31 - Lucent windmodem woes....

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 10:23:23 -0800
> From: Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> "P.A.Osborne" wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:54:32AM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > > cual0 (or sio0) is almost certainly NOT your winmodem.  I suspect it is
> > > an onboard serial or IR port, as is sio1.  More reading of the ltmdm
> > > documentation might reveal how to discover what sio device node is
> > > associated with the winmodem when the module attaches.  You'll then need
> > > to use the /dev/MAKEDEV script to create /dev entries for that sio node
> > > if you don't already have them.
> >
> > Thats the problem exactly!
> >
> > If I *knew* what device it really mapped to then I would be laughing,
> > finding that out seems to be nigh on impossible, hence my mail asking
> > if anyone had been round these hoops and succeeded.
>
> The last time I tried ltmdm (quite some time ago) it seemed to take the
> first non-allocated sio, which would be sio2 in your case.  It's at least
> a good starting point.
>
> > > Or you could do like the rest of us and buy a pccard modem that doesn't
> > > suck.  ;^)
> >
> > That is something that I don't want to do until I am certain that the
> > winmodem is not an option.
>
> If you do get it working you're not likely to be impressed by the through-
> put or the load imposed on your system.  I certainly wasn't.

I believe IBM is now using the ICH3 chipset which includes the Agre
(nee Lucent) AC'97 WinModem. This is a different beast from the older
Lucent WinModems and, unless something has recently changed, it is not
supported under FreeBSD with the ltmdm port.

FWIW, under Windows, the new modem is vastly superior to my older
internal modem on my 600E. I get better data rates and more reliable
connections, but it does load the CPU quite a bit. Still, as little as
I use a modem, it would be fine if there was an available driver.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)