Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 1996 10:50:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        exuviae@intersurf.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dial-up?

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996 exuviae@intersurf.com wrote:

> I have an interesting question to pose to your staff, I am working on a
> project for work, which entails a pay raise, so obviously i want to
> succeed. I have 3 120mgz pentiums at my disposal, and what i need to do
> is create a mini network that would have HTML capabilities, BUT be
> accessed through a direct dialup, with HTTP capabilities, so on the out
> side it appears that you have connected to the WWW, when in reality you
> are just seeing a mini-network.

I couldn't see why not.  Your dialup connection would have to be SLIP/PPP
or use Lynx for your browser.

> It has to be capable of allowing
> aliases and accounts, but WILL NOT have any access to the internet at
> this time, I am wondering if it is possible to do this with FreeBSD?

Sure.

> need it to be viewed with a browser such as MS explorer or Netscape, and
>  i need the users to be able to navigate through pages with the HTTP
> features.  Any help will be much appreciated.  Please reply ASAP as I am
> working with a Deadline of 2 weeeks pages and all.  I can be reached at
> exuviae@intersurf.com

I don't see why you couldn't pull this.

I don't have enough info from you to help with design, but it sounds like
all you want to do is set up some HTTP servers (apache) and just look at
them.  You'd have to set up hosts files or set up a DNS server if you
want name resolution.