Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 20:00:13 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   X under FreeBSD and Linux

Hello,

I have a p200MMX with 24MB RAM and S3 Virge 2MB graphics adapter.
I use both FreeBSD and Windows on the same machine.

But as far as I have found out Windows is working far faster than
FreeBSD.

For example I run Netscape on Windows and FreeBSD (even the same
version)
and FreeBSD is getting frozen for a while and using hard drive so much
(possible swapping?) and after it everything is working slowly, and even
when I want to close Netscape it takes 10 seconds for the process to
disappear. But it works very well on windows.
Even the terminal programs are working strangely slow.

I just use KDE on my FreeBSD box and nothing else is running when X is
running.

One of my friend told me that his Redhat Linux was working far faster
than Windows in his machine. Can this be true?

by the way what can be wrong with my computer?

Evren Yurtesen
yurtesen@ispro.net.tr