Date:      Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:03:31 -0400
From:      Todd Stephens <tbstep@tampabay.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: applications

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 12:01 pm, Doug Love wrote:
> A friend recommends your OS over Linux for my home system.
> I've taken a 2 day Linux Admin course, and know just about that much.
> I don't see a quick answer on your webpages to my questions.
> Where can I find

>     A Database similar to Access

You will not find this yet.  The KDE project is working on an
application called Kexi, that is similar to Access in that it is a
desktop database system (using a very small, lightweight SQL backend).
There is a similar commercial application from thekompany.com, but I
have no idea if it would run on FreeBSD, even under Linux compat.

>     Spreadsheets

Gnumeric.  OpenOffice has one as does KOffice.

>     Pkzip

There are more compression tools than you can shake a stick at :)

--
Todd Stephens