Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 1996 11:23:14 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
>
> >   Is the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 PCI 100Mbps ethernet card support
> > with either -stable or -current?
>
> Not yet.
>
> >   In another box I have a cheap NE2100 compatible card.  The kernel on
> > that box reports CRC check error VERY often and Framming error once in a
> > while.  I have commented out most of the error reporting mechanism from the
> > kernel to avoid /var from filling up with these errors.  Is there a
> > better solution?  Is this due to the type of ethernet card?
>
> NE2100?  Hm.  I have a cheap NE2000 that works great.  My guess would
> either be that either the cabling or the card is bad.
>
> Or your network is rather noisy.

I suspect bad cabling.
What driver are you using on the ne2100??
I see in LINT that the 2100 is listed under lnc, Isn't the 2100
also 2000 compat??

My FreeBSD box has two cards using ed. Novell NE1000 (for IPX playing)
and a Who Knows brand NE2000 compat for real use. Works flawlessly.

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848