Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 1998 17:18:03 -0500
From:      Alex Ching-Yuen Wong <Alex_Wong@scotiamarkets.com>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help: StarOffice-4.0 freezes almost immediately

Joe "Marcus" Clarke wrote:

> I was getting the same error with it when I installed it.  The trick is
> not to install it as a shared package, but rather as something only you
> use.  That is, you need to have read/write access to all of the
> components.  If you want anyone else to use it, they, too, need to have
> read/write access.  This version of 4.0 doesn't support network
> installations.  I guess you need to buy licenses for them.  If this has
> changed, I'd sure like to know, as I'd like to do a shared install on
> my machine.

Take a look at this website:
http://www.clark.net/pub/ray/staroffice.html
which contains useful installation instructions. There is also a hack on
the settings for a multi-user environment, which is in turn available
from here:
http://www.on-line.de/~michael.hoennig/soffice4-linux-faq-01.html
Actually, the script doesn't work quite well for FreeBSD, but it should
not be hard if you take some time knowing what it's about and make some
changes. (like there is no cp -d flag in FreeBSD, just minor stuff ;)

The StarOffice is a real memory-beast, and you would need certain amount
of free mem(including vm!) to run. I have also upgrade my linux libc to
4.4.41, and put it into the ${SO4}/lib, and is working quite well. I
have not tried 4.4.44 though. I suspect it is probably due to some kinda
vm enhancement in -current(971225), and after the upgrade, it is going
on quite smoothly though.

It's an Office suite, anyhow, but that's free, apart from Applix.

Rgds,
Alex Wong.