Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:01:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "S. Sigala" <ssigala@globalnet.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some more news about the Zile editor Vs ee

Hi,

first of all, i wish to thank all for the feedback and for
the bug reports.

I was a bit misunderstand-ed (or i have not expressed the
idea clearly): i don't want to replace the VI editor with
my text editor, i proposed replacing the editor usually
suggested for "newbies": `ee'.  This is usually the first editor
that the FreeBSD newbies use in the first days, and is called by
the sysinstall program for customize some configuration files, if i
remember correctly.
Someone thinks that 'ee' is good, someone not.  What i wanted to know is
why 'ee' is good and why is not (and if Zile is ok or no to replace it).

- There are still many bugs in the editor, and many of
  you found some new (like the C-x C-q stupid typo in the Mini Help window;
  I'm sure that someone "kill -9"ed the editor to quit, because the
  not so Helping Help :-) )
  Obviously i don't want to replace any editor with one that is more
  bogus, since it is for now alpha quality code (maybe in the future...).

- I didn't remember to document the Meta- bug that inserts crap
  like "\37777777750" in the buffer :)

- I don't currently know how to correct the UNIX typical problem of
  Delete-Backspace difference.  Currently the Zile key handling
  is based upon ncurses calls, and works most the time under
  the console of FreeBSD (minus the Alt- keys) and Linux.
  ncurses returns KEY_DC for the delete key and KEY_BACKSPACE for
  the backspace key.
  This is a piece of code:

	case KEY_DC:		/* DEL */
		return KBD_DEL;

	case KEY_BACKSPACE:	/* BS */
#ifdef __linux__
	case 0177:		/* BS */
#endif
		return KBD_BS;

  Under X-Window (Linux and FreeBSD ones) this doesn't work, and i don't
know why.

- Converting to bmake should be fairly simple, and so should be
  adding a few #defines to not depend on the /usr/share stuff.

Regards,
	-sandro

P.S. Thanks again for the answers; i know now what to fix and how to
improve the editor.