Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:01:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: StarOffice woes on 4.4RC

On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Mike Porter wrote:

> It seems that the staroffice port fails to install properly under 4.4.  I
> have tried it on all three of the thus-far-official 4.4 RC's, and in every
> case it fails at exactly the same place with exactly the same error.
>
> the port extracts OK.
> the port claims it patches OK.
>
> but on "make install" after the message, when it tries to actually run the
> Setup.bin, imediately after the "glibc version 2.1.1" message, make fails
> with error code 1.  Sorry I don't have the exact text as the root account
> isn't set up to do email, however, there is no further infromation than
> "error code 1 (ignored)....it appears that the program has failed to
> install....STOP in /usr/ports/editors/staroffice52/work/office52"
>
> In /var/log/messages I get:
> Aug 30 19:05:14 c1828785-a /kernel: pid 748 (setup.bin), uid 0: exited on
> signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> [...there's no setup.bin.core to be found...]

    When I initially installed StarOffice, I had a lot of hand-jobbing
(excuse the phrase) to do to get the port to install, and the network
setup to let Joe User use it instead of running it as root didn't
work.  I finally somehow got it running on my laptop, but I never did
get it to work properly on my server.  The port definitely has issues,
and the port maintainers never responded to my email.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)