Date:      Wed, 24 May 2000 21:52:20 -0400
From:      Chris Inacio <inacio@ece.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   can't boot 4.0-RELEASE boot floppies

Hello all,

    I would like to install 4.0-RELEASE, but I can't boot the install
floppies.  (Presumably I can't boot the actual FreeBSD 4.0 kernel
either.)  The machine I want to install this one was running FreeBSD 3.2
on it, which installed without too many problems.  I tried to install
3.4 on it, and that kernel also failed.  On the 4.0 kernel it stops at
"md1: malloc disk", at which the machine is locked hard (requires the
reset button or the power switch.)

I admit that my hardware is a little strange.  I have three SCSI (two
SCA) drives on two different SCSI controllers.  (I also have a SCSI
CD-ROM drive, which I tried to boot off of, but that didn't work.)
Anyway, the machine has two 7870 controller chips (along with the unused
IDE controllers,) built onto the motherboard.  It's a dual processor
pentium pro machine, actually a 133 MHz.  It's actually an Intel
engineering sample machine -- so the hardware could be pretty strange,
although it has generally worked reasonably well.

I installed a DOS boot partition with the SCSI and CD-ROM drivers enough
so that I can access the drive, although I have no idea how that can
help me.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated,
(please send email if you can....)
thanks in advance,
Chris Inacio
inacio@ece.cmu.edu