Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:08:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      stoney@florence.ds.adp.com (Don Stonebraker)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Cannot successfully install FreeBSD

	We cannot get FreeBSD version 2.0.5 to completely load everything on
	our PC.  We want to use the machine as a network server and a system
	to boot our Xterminals but cannot completely install all of the
	necessary Unix elements.  We bought this PC for this specific
	purpose and had it configured with a Soundblaster and CD recomended
	by FreeBSD:

			Mitsushita ("SoundBlaster") CDROM interface card

	The Soundblaster/CD is recognized by the DOS partition but we cannot
	get the FreeBSD install program or the FreeBSD Unix system to
	recognize that a CD is present.

	We initially worked around this problem by loading up a system that
	would allow us to build a new kernel as suggested in the FreeBSD
	Handbook (on internet).  To do this we had to copy needed directories
	to our (very small) DOS partition and run the install.  Our theory was
	that once we got Unix functional we could build a new kernel
	with that configured the CDROM and load the rest of the stuff
	(eg. network programs, developer programs, etc.).

	I have tried repeatidly (without success) to build a kernel or
	complete an install that recognizes the CDROM and loads ALL the
	FreeBSD software available so we will have a complete Unix
	system for networking.  The people at Walnut Creek (FreeBSD
	developers) have lent NO HELP at all even though I have called
	them countless times.  My answer from them is they do not know
	anything to help me but will have someone call me back and
	this never happens.

	How can I get this machine completely and successfully loaded?
	If you need anymore info from me, please let me know.

			Thanks,

				Stoney

--------- Here is my last attempt to build a kernel ------------------------

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386.conf

# cp GENERIC CPCCKERNEL

# vi CPCCKERNEL

	---> added following two lines :

	controller snd0
	device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x220

# /usr/sbin/config CPCCKERNEL

# make depend

# make

 ---> does not complete, ends with messages:

 soundcard.o: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_init' referenced from segment text
 sound_switch.0: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_read' referenced from text segment
 sound_switch.0: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_write' referenced from text segment
 sound_switch.0: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_open' referenced from text segment
 sound_switch.0: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_release' referenced from text segment
 sound_switch.0: Undefined symbol `MIDIbuf_ioctl' referenced from text segment
 **** Error code 1

 Stop

			DonStonebraker
		     ADP Dealer Services