Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 13:23:19 +0200
From:      Jim Segrave <jes@jes-2.demon.nl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patch to modify default inetd.conf, have sysinstall prompt...

> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 09:05:56 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: Patch to modify default inetd.conf, have sysinstall prompt to edit , inetd.conf
>
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Mike Porter wrote:
[snip]
> This is true--however, the inetd.conf file doesn't lend itself to
> automated management, as it doesn't have an inline "disabled" flag.  To
> disable a service, you comment it out, making it hard for a program to
> distinguish things which are legitimately comments, and things that are
> disabled services.  In the long term, it would probably make sense to
> develop some sort of administrative tool for inetd.conf: however, I
> concluded that doing so prior to 4.4-RELEASE was unlikely, and opted for
> this.  In the future, if such a tool is developed, I'd be happy to slot it
> in instead of invoking EDITOR on it :-).
> allowing it to either be manually enabled, or enabled by virtue of
> dependencies (something we already support).

I think it's trivial to distinguish services from comments -

Perl regex:

$commented_line =~ /^#+\s*(\S+)\s+(stream|dgram|raw|rdm|seqpacket)/;
$service_name = $1;

$active_service =~ /^(\S+)\s+(stream|dgram|raw|rdm|seqpacket)/;
$service_name = $1;

This is enough to let you parse a file and find all the services which
are enabled or not.  It should be a SMOP to have a little perl script
to take the user through a list of services likely to be wanted and
get a yes/no for each one, then go through the inetd.conf and ensure
that all non-wanted services are commented out and wanted ones are
uncommented if need be.

--
Jim Segrave           jes@jes-2.demon.nl