Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 23:51:58 +0200 (EET)
From:      Vladimir Kushnir <kushn@mail.kar.net>
To:        Jim Barker <jimbark@ibm.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jbarker@bbn.com
Subject:   Re: Yamaha OPL card

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Jim Barker wrote:

> I have a problem with my sound card.  I have a Yamaha
> OPL???.  I have read several entries in the FreeBSD

What breed? Is it PnP?

> mail archives, the handbook, and the sound.doc to
> see if I could solve this problem on my own, but
> to this point I have failed in every attempt.  Looking
> at the output of dmesg below tells me that it cannot
> find sbxvi0 (sb16).  I am at a loss as to why and I
> have not had much success in troubleshooting the
> problem myself, so I was wondering if I could call
> upon the FreeBSD authorities to point me in the right
> direction.  Below are 3 things.....1 kernel conf entries
> 2 contents of /dev/sndstat file and 3 output of dmesg.
> If there is anymore information that I can provide, I
> would be happy to do so.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated, thanks.
>
> ...also, I am able to play CD's with no problem :)
>
> ======kernel configuration entries begin======
> controller      snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 conflicts drq 1 vector sbintr
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq 5
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x330
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
> ======kernel configuration entries end======

</dev/sndstat and dmesg skipped>

Well, there's two ways I know of. You can switch to Luigi's driver (
controller      pnp0
device pcm0 at <see LINT>
in kernel config file) - but then you won't have FM;
or pretend you've got something else (my card is recognized as cs4232).
Here's what I did (Yamaha OPL-SA2, PnP). In kernel config:

controller      pnp0
controller      snd0
device css0     at isa? port 0x534 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13
device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
device mpu0     at isa? port 0x330 irq 6 drq 0
 and in kernel.config (or boot -c; then enter manually):

pnp 1 0 os enable irq0 5 drq0 1 drq1 3
pnp 1 0 port0 0x220 port1 0x530 port2 0x388 port3 0x330 port4 0x370
pnp 1 1 os enable port0 0x201
pnp 1 2 os enable port0 0x800
pnp 1 3 os enable irq0 10 port0 0x1e0 port1 0x3e6
irq mpu0 -1
drq mpu0 -1

Your settings can differ, though (try pnpinfo first). Works like charm,
all devs, duplex and so on).

Hope this helps,
Vladimir