Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:00:45 +0000
From:      Tom Morris <morris-tim@pavilion.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   newbie: OAST Express

questions,

I have been "commisioned" by my school to come up with a neat freebsd /
linux system for
them. knowing how good freebsd is, i made it the system of choice. but i
am a bit confused.
i know freebsd 3.0 is out and i need some help making a decision. Is it
better for me to stick
with 2.2.x or move up to 3.0?. If i choose 2.2.x, should I stick with
2.2.6 or buy / download
2.2.7?

Also can you please please help me make a decision about PC's, i might
be able to get my hands
on a second hand pentium p90, 11gb hdd with mitsumi (ide-atapi) cdrom
drive. Possibly with
stuff like creative sb16's and maybe even a 3d graphics card or
something similar. can you advise
me on what i should be looking for when I am buying a machine to run
FreeBSD (or maybe Linux
if installing FreeBSD fails).

So, i am using it for a huge bunch of students (user rates will pop 1000
in september '99), and it
is going to have to deal with huge amounts of members. i'll not give
them too much space to save
their lovely work, but instead teach them about floppy disks and how to
msdos format them
(correct me if i am wrong, but is it mformat?) and how do i secretley
install games so the kiddies
cant play games!!

--tom morris
thomas_morris@bigfoot.com