Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:44:47 +0100
From:      Richard Smith <rdls@satamatics.com>
To:        Joseph Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installing on RAID?

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 05:18:58PM -0500, Joseph Koenig wrote:
> In case this helps in explaing my previous post heres some more info.
> When I install the system, it finds 2 containers aacd00 and aacd01. I
> install the system onto either one, or both of the containers (I've
> tried both). The last time, I installed to aacd01. All goes well until
> after the install when the system reboots. This is what I get:
>
> no devsw (majdev=0 bootdev=0xa0200000)
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/aacd0s1a
> no such device 'aacd'
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6

I don't have the answer, but some of this may help. You don't mention
which version of FreeBSD you are using, or the machine or the RAID
controller you are attempting to install onto.

I am using a similar RAID controller to you:
aac0: <Dell PERC 3/Di> mem 0xf0000000-0xf7ffffff irq 2 at device 2.1 on pci2
aac0: i960RX 100MHz, 126MB total memory, optional battery present (3)
aac0: Kernel 2.5-0, S/N fafaf001c91010d2

which has a single RAID 5 container:
aacd0: <RAID 5> on aac0
aacd0: 69425MB (142182912 sectors)

IIRC, I don't install the boot manager, I take the second option
and install a regular MBR.

You're more likely to have success installing on the first container,
ISTM that the boot process is progressing nicely until it finds out
that the root partition is not on the first container.

--
Richard Smith
Network Systems Director