Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 1996 03:44:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Leigh Gaffney <freebsd@stgenesis.org>
To:        "Randall D. DuCharme" <randyd@nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel hacks for large number of users

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Randall D. DuCharme wrote:

>      I understand that a few kernel changes are necessary for FBSD to run
> well with a large number of users.  Can anyone tell me: 1) At what number
> of users is this necessary and  2) what are the changes???

For ircd this works well, whether it works on the machine for users or
not I'm not sure the machine is a dedicated irc machine that runs one of
DALnet's main hubs and also services (which is 40 M loaded into memory).

in the dir /sys/sys there's a file called types.h (I'm told you can add
an options in the kernel too but I prefer to change it here.)

Right now it reads

FD_SETSIZE	256

it needs to read

FD_SETSIZE	1024

also add these two lines into the kernel

options		"CHILD_MAX=128"
options		"OPEN_MAX=128"

This combination works real well for my own machine connected
(stgenesis.org) as it runs a mud, 20 mailing lists and about 20 users
with a 486 DX4 with 16M memory and never makes it over .10 load or 15%
CPU (And these are heavy lists - at least 100-500 on each with 100-200
emails from each per day)

Hope this helps.

-Leigh Gaffney
Administrator/WebMistress