Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 17:29:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, obrien@cs.ucdavis.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: X for install

> > The private address space has the advantage of isolating potentially
> > nasty ("scribble on the kernel") drivers, and the disadvantage of
> > additional protection domain crossing (ala NetWare 4.x "memory
> > protection").
>
> With all the hoohah on pipelining and speculative execution and all that
> crap, one never reads much about improvements in these issues (nor TLA and
> friends).  Is this domain crossing still expensive on newer processors?
> (In context, I guess newer means P5+)

Doing protection domain crossing is more expensive than not doing it.

There *is* a method which uses the anonymity of pages in a "very large
address space" (say 64 bits), where it "just works" if you get the
right page and faults if you don't.

The magic is that with a very large space, you can "hide" pages with
a high statistical probability that it will be impossible to locate
a particular page without faulting instead, since there are many many
orders of magnitudes more unmapped pages than mapped ones.

I haven't seen this tried on anything less than a 64 bit processor.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.