Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:33:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Helge Oldach <Helge.Oldach@de.origin-it.com>
To:        roche1@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr (Sebastien ROCHE)
Cc:        dan@tsolab.org, kenm@icarz.com, clash@fireduck.com, matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET, brentb@loa.com, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var drive space problem

Sebastien ROCHE:
>My / partition is 32 Mb large. I had no problem until yesterday, when the
>make installkernel didn't work due to insufficient space.
>I think it's /modules which is bigger than it was (and the installation
>process makes a copy of it). Anyway it was difficult to have it work. I
>lost /stand and I put /lkm on /usr and I had to delete some binaries in
>/bin or /sbin that I don't use.

Actually you can safely remove /modules and /modules.old after a
successful "make buildkernel" (!) while you are in single-user just
before "make installkernel". Then even a 32 MB root should suffice.

If you want to be on the very safe side you can try removing
/modules.old first. Often that suffices.

A populated /lkm is pointless on an ELF system anyhow.

Also /stand gets outdated quickly :-) and thus can be removed.

Helge