Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 18:27:28 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        Aaron Angel <aangel@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: prefix command outdated?

> Out of curiousity, why is the prefix command being phased out?

=46rom KAME's latest prefix(8):

HISTORY
     The prefix command first appeared in WIDE/KAME IPv6 protocol stack kit.
     Previously, this command was used to manipulate prefixes separately fr=
om
     interface identifiers, intending to be used for prefix renumbering.  H=
ow-
     ever, it had been known that the manipulation mechanism was not friend=
ly
     with traditional address management engine in the kernel.  Thus, the K=
AME
     developers decided to invalidate the prefix manipulation mechanism, and
     to clarify the entire address/prefix manipulation in February 2001.
     Since then, this command has almost been obsoleted.  All users should =
now
     use ifconfig(8).

(Hmm...FreeBSD's releases still have an old version of the man page.
We should merge the man page as well.)

> And is=20
> there a way to assign an address based on a prefix and EU64 address to a =

> device using ifconfig, or do I have to write a script?  I haven't found=20
> anything in the man pages regarding this.

The current prefix(8) is exactly the script for this purpose.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp