Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:22:39 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Subject:   Re: sbc and pcm

"Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Nick Hibma wrote:
> > My compliments on the sbc bridge drivers. This is what newbus is
> > supposed to look like. Anyone wanting to know what a bridge driver is,
> > have a look at
> >
> > 	sys/dev/sound/isa/sbc.c
> >
> > Beautiful in its simplicity:
> >
> > 	probe
> > 	attach (create a few children: pcm, midi, etc.)
> > 	helper functions (alloc/free resource).
>
> Actually, I've a few issues with it but I'm sure Peter will cover anything
> I have to say.
>
> Mostly, sbc.c is handling PnP ID matching in a totally bogus manner.

Yes, it's quite bogus and is incompatible with motherboard devices.  There
should be no vendor ID references in there at all, that's for card ID, not
device id.

For example, the laptop I have here has a logical device 0x2100a865 (YMH0021)
on the motherboard.  There are no vendor ID's for motherboard devices, so the
probe will fail as vend_id2 is set to a copy of the logical ID.

        case 0x2100a865: /* Yamaha */
                if (vend_id2 == 0x2000a865)
                        s = "Yamaha OPL3-SA2/SAX Sound Board";
                break;

Also, the MSS driver probes for this card, *and* the new sbc driver?

Not to mention problems with some very broken #if's, but to be fair, many have
been there for a while.

Cheers,
-Peter