Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 10:28:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Adam W. Dace" <thekind@NETural.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Finding one's second IDE controller...

Greetings all.

After a long time of putting it off, I set out over the weekend to convert
my at-home Linux machine to a real OS(ahem).

The only problem is, for some reason FreeBSD can't seem to find my
secondary IDE controller (on which is a hard drive dedicated to
Linux/to-be-FreeBSD).

FreeBSD is looking for it in the right place, too.  It's on port 0x170,
IRQ 15, according to Win95.

I really want to install FreeBSD on this machine, but am a bit scared as
I really need the space on that hard drive, to install X, etc. etc.

I'm also wondering why it is that it sees my primary IDE controller, but
not my secondary.  Does FreeBSD use BIOS for these things?  My AMI WinBIOS
has from the start always denied the existence of my secondary controller
(i.e. I can configure it, but it won't admit it's there, gives an error).

Any ideas for me?  I'd greatly appreciate a clue on this one.

Please reply to the mailing list and also CC: a copy of it to my personal
e-mail as I'm a bit busy these days and that will ensure I see it.

Thanks,

| Adam W. Dace <thekind@NETural.com>  | NETural Communications, Inc.         |
|            Webmaster                | Paying too much for your Net access? |
|       http://www.NETural.com/       | NETural Voice: (312) 819-2231        |