Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:41:42 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
Cc:        "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Simple DNS Question(Kinda :) )

> Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 14:27:24 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Damon Hammis <squirrel@hammis.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Change this:
>
> > bswift.com	IN	CNAME 	cluster.bswift.com.
>
> to this:
>
> bswift.com.    IN      CNAME   cluster.bswift.com.

No, I'm afraid not. As we saw, bswift.com is the domain, so this would
lead to an illegal case where you have a CNAME and some other RR.

The normal way to do this is

	       IN    A	  [address of cluster.bswift.com]

There is nothing wrong with multiple A records, but CNAME is processed
differently from all other RRs and doing what you are trying will
simply not work correctly.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)