Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:07:21 +1000
From:      Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Any experience with ET5025 (HDLC family - PPP, Frame, X25)

     Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

     I am writing to ask opinions about using the Emerging technologies
     HDLC family card, the ET5025 family.

     This device provides a number of physical interfaces (eg RS232, V25)
     to a Frame Relay, X25, or PPP network using "variants" of HDLC as the
     link level protocol (LAPD, LAPB, etc).

     It seems a wonderful product and I am very pleased with Mr Dennis
     Bauschs responsive and informed help.

     Unfortunately I am having trouble getting the ET card to work.

     My symptoms are *no* frames sent to the CSU/DSU (so the ET software
     quite correctly reports the link is down since the LMI status enquiry
     frames it generates do not get replies from the Frame relay network)
     although the cards debug mechanism reports that frames are being
     generated (the hex contents are displayed on the console).

     I am using FreeBSD 2.2.5-R on a 486 Micronics main board. The ET ISA
     card uses IRQ 5 and IO address 0x240. vmstat -i shows that this board
     and an NE2000 compatible have different IRQs and are generating
     interupts.

     I have unsuccessfully tried changing the clock sense of the CSU/DSU
     and interchanging the 2 cards (ether and ET).

     Thank you,

     Yours sincerely.