Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:04:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 486 - Pushing it for an X-Server?

Karl Pielorz said:
>Hi,
>
>I have a 486DX4-100 which I would like to use as a 'remote' terminal system
>for my main machine (which is a dual PPro 200 running 3.0-CURRENT).
>
>The 486 has 16Mb of RAM and a Trident (!Chipset forgotten - but supported by
>SVGA X-Server!) VESA Local bus card.
>
>The machine has a 1Gb IDE drive.
>
>Is this machine going to be fast enough for me to run as an X-Server display
>for programs started on my machine machine?
>
>I'll probably be using Netscape mainly + a few other programs / utilities...
>
>I guess if the software is running on the big one, 16Mb of RAM should be
>enough for the X-Server?
>
>Any comments? (Apart from 'buy a new machine? <G>)
>
>Regards,
>
>Karl Pielorz

It should work just fine.  My main machine is a venerable DX4-100, with a
little more RAM and disk space than yours.  I generally wander off for a
cup of coffee when I'm doing a big Java compile, but for interactive stuff
I have no complaints about the performance.  Can't say the same about Win95
on my P150 laptop :(

As someone else said, the main bottlenecks will be the ethernet and that
video card.  Maybe you can pick up a cheap VLB S3 card somewhere.

	Scott.