Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 16:06:19 +0200
From:      Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Virus on FreeBSD

Robert Watson writes:

> To protect the kernel properly, lkms need to be disabled at a sufficiently
> high run-level (possibly always), and appropriate file system stuff
> protected.  Personally, I like the idea of using a CD-ROM for a file
> system, but it's not so very fast.

	32x will deliver pretty good performance -- not unlike a washing
	machine on spin-cycle, but ok.

	I'm more concerned about how long such a device would live
	with filesystem-like activity -- the way CD drives are built
	today, I wouldn't expect very long.

--
 -[ Philippe Regnauld / sysadmin / regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk / +55.4N +11.3E ]-
     «Pluto placed his bad dog at the entrance of Hades to keep the dead