Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 18:48:20 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The IMPORTANCE of real time under freebsd.

Jamil J. Weatherbee asks:

> BTW Anybody know of any good speech recognition HARDWARE (or software, but
> I doubt that exists) that could be used for voice control in a medium
> sized room i.e.i.e mic hanging from center of ceiling (probably dictionary
> based). Also speech synthesis hardware that is dictionary based (with a
> female voice preferably) that could be run through a PA system.

I haven't tried it the way you suggest but PowerMac's come with hardware
and software for speaker independent speech recognition and synthesis,
standard equipment. Includes a number of choices, male, female, and
synthetic, for speech output. New PowerMacs clones (fire sales) are down
as low as $1k. Some sell bare-bones no memory no HD boxes for $500.
Most "bare" systems still include video hardware, SCSI, and ethernet as
they are all built into the MB. Some also offer EIDE interfaces and
support for PS/2 mouse and keyboards.
--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net